Friday, July 10, 2009

My turn...to rant that is

Since Dan LOVES to post (almost as much as this guy), I don't get to post as often as I used to. Which is O.K. I guess since I don't really have that much to say:)

Anyway a couple days ago Dan read me the review for the movie "My Sister's Keeper."

I have been wanting to see this movie, but I am a little hesitant. Can you guess why? Here is a synopsis and maybe you can figure it out:

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate - a life and a role that she has never questioned… until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister - and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable… a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves. My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life… even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less?

It sounds good enough right? An older sister who is dying of cancer and a younger sister that is born to save her life?! Did you figure out why I am hesitant to see it?


It's the whole cancer thing.

Call me bitter, or hard or whatever you want to call me, but I have a really hard time watching actors act like they have cancer. Now I've never seen this movie so maybe they are great in it, but in general I can't stand people acting like they are sick. I know that they are trying their darnedest to put on their best show of how they think that they would act and feel if they had cancer. But I am sorry until you have had cancer and go through the extensive surgeries and chemotherapy, it is really hard to act like you have cancer. And of course the producers and directors always put in this mushy sentimental crap. I am sorry but I was never that reflective while I was sick.

I never sat on the beach with a handmade afghan writing poems...

I never sat in a bueatiful field and blew perfectly lucent bubbles while dramatic music played in the background.

Why?
Because I was too freaking sick to get off the couch! Oh and don't forget the majority of the time, I was in the hospital anyway and not anywhere near a beach to begin with.

And you can't forget the dramatic scene where the cancer patient loses her hair.
Give me a break.
You know what sucks worse than losing your hair?
Oh yeah, ACTUALLY HAVING CANCER!


Movies aren't the only media sources that make me want to puke. I can not stand all the country songs about finding out that their wife/mother/sister/daughter has cancer and bla bla bla...it makes me want to gag! I know that they are trying to pull at your heart strings, but sometimes you don't want to be all sentimental and mushy. You want to be angry and depressed and pissed off.


And sometimes you do want to be sad, and you do want to cry and you want to prove the numbers wrong and beat this thing. And there are times that you are very, very reflective. But it's different. You never go to hair and makeup. You never get to feel better as soon as someone says "cut." It never, ever, feels like the movies. It is real.
And sometimes reality bites.

Has anyone seen this movie? Does anyone else feel the same way I do? Or am I just a cold and calloused person?

7 comments:

Claire Marie said...

You seem to be on a theme today. This whole post is candid and real and cuts to the core for me as a reader. I have great respect for your honesty. This is sort of like when people tell me I am strong and I feel like it is warped. Not the words they are saying nor the sentiment they are trying to relay but the truth of it is SO off! It isn't valiant to do what has to be done. Sometimes it is just plain crappy. Just straight up horrible crap. I look at our photos and I listen to what you write and am amazed at your beauty. Just that. You are beautiful.

As for the movie.... we just bought the book and are going to read it instead of seeing the movie. Amelia said it was an interesting read.

Claire Marie said...

that should have said "I look at YOUR photos"

Tara L. said...

I did see the movie, and I did like it. It made me cry. I can understand your point of view though. I am sure I would feel differently if I had experienced everything that you have experienced. You are a strong woman Heidi and I admire you.

Jason, as himself said...

I bet if I had gone through what you went through, I would feel the same way.

Jacqui Carrasco said...

I have always thought you were beautiful but those pitures are amazing.

RoseAnna said...

I never really thought about it in that light. I can see where you are coming from though.

Katrine said...

I agree! I have no desire to see the movie. I was taking Maddie and their friends to the movie and they wanted to see My sister's keeper. No thank you! I don't want to see cancer romanticized. It is cruel, and there's nothing pretty about it.