Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Good Things Utah Part II

Recently I commented on the overabundant consumption of pornography in Utah. I know I shouldn't but I find this funny in a ironic kind of way. Heidi immediately questioned why I hate Utah. Well, I don't. I have never said I hate Utah, in fact, about a year ago I wrote on reasons why I miss Utah and after a recent trip to the Rocky Mountain state I can add a few more. Here is my updated list on why I like (and miss) Utah:

1. Utah mountains, canyons, and valleys are some of the best and my favorite.

2. Nickelcade has ruined regular priced arcade games for me forever. Supposedly other states have similar arcades but I've never seen them.

3. Crisp bean burritos...Heidi got me hooked on these and Taco Time is centered in Utah.

4. Fry sauce, sure it's made of mayo, ketchup and pickle juice but it sure taste good.

5. TRAX. Houston is the epitome of poor public transportation and the Houston Metro area is 3 times the size of Utah yet the Wasatch Front has a better public transportation system.

6. Fall is my favorite season and the best falls I have ever seen has been in Utah.

7. The grid system for addresses rocks. Brigham Young was inspired, go figure?

8. I miss Strawberry Days including the rodeo, strawberries and cream, and the freaky carnival.

9. Sports. I'm a Jazz fan and root for them every time as long as they are not playing the Celtics. OK, I'm going to admit something huge. I am a BYU football fan and will cheer for the Cougars 99.9% of the time. I went to countless games as a young man and loved them. I even went to a game against Tulane at the Superdome in New Orleans last year. However, I will never be caught dead wearing any BYU clothing.

10. I'm not a huge fan of alcohol, it ruins far more lives than helps. In 2008 43% of all traffic related fatalities occurred as a result of drunk driving in top ranked Texas (alcohol consumption here is a ridiculous and out of control). Utah had the lowest in the nation at 20% (still appalling). Now that is something to brag about. Still not a fan of the no-alcohol-sales on Sunday rule, that's just silly.

BONUS 11. While on the WofW, smoking deaths in Utah are the lowest in the nation year after year. Strange that this is even a problem knowing what we do.

So, with all these wonderful aspects of the Beehive state you think I'd be running back to my native state as quickly as I could. Like many I have conflicted feelings about where I was born. I think there are two big reasons why I can't/won't ever go back.

First, I am proud of my Mormon faith but have come to appreciate the fact that we make up a very small minority group in the USA. When one lives in a state where more than 60% are LDS how on earth are we supposed to fulfill the "every member a missionary" calling. There are so many people that would represent our faith better than I but most of them are in Utah!

Second, I drove away from my house about three weeks after my 19th b-day. I don't know why but I knew it would never be the same. When I came back from my mission everything had changed and I didn't like it. I like my memories where they are and every time I go back to Utah I feel like some of my treasured memories are replaced by something that has changed.

But hey, to each their own.

2 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

Yes. Thank you for the reminder that there are many great things about Utah. When I was in my 20s and early 30s I despised Utah. That took a lot of energy. There are still many things I would change about it if I were in charge of the world, but I don't twitch every time I cross the border anymore.

Katrine said...

Utah's great for the most part. Texas is great for the most part.